- Ulla Johnson Kiri Dress
- Veronica Beard Camilla Quilted Denim Jacket
- Stone & Strand Nailed It Pave Diamond Ring
- Juice Beauty CC Cream Gives you a natural glow with just enough coverage and SPF.
- Jane Win Baby Heart Love Earrings Cute Valentine’s Day Gift.
- Ursa Major Recovery Cream
- Mansur Dream Ballerina Flat Runs small size up 1 full size.
Merry Christmas to all of those who are celebrating! If you’re doing any cooking over the holidays last night I made Sesame Noodles with caramelized mushrooms and Asian Meatballs, definitely worth making everyone loved it! Now onto today’s look….
- Loeffler Randall For Good Knit Collection Comes in cream, navy, oatmeal, and heather.
- Mango Faux Shearling Reversible Jacket
- & Other Stories Diamond Quilted Mittens
- Mother Pixie Dazzler Raw Hem Ankle Jean
- Gucci Beige Wool Wristlet (navy/red color way here)
- Freda Salvador Brooke Waterproof Lug Sole Boot
- Charlotte Tilbury Superstar Lip Gloss
- Gucci Coated Logo Phone Case
Beauty update! I wanted to give you an update on several new products that I started using and really like. I was looking for a new face wash and bought the Ursa Major set consisting of face balm, tonic, and face wash (all clean beauty products at a great price point). I just ordered Suntegrity Sunscreen, a friend recommended I try it she loves it! Will keep you posted.
- Ipanema Women’s Pearl Strap Sandal Amazon, $32.
- Roxanne Assoulin Daisy Anklet Shopbop, $45.
- Seed Bead Flower Hair Pin Madewell, $17.
- Ruched Bikini Top & Other Stories, $29.
- Floral High waist briefs & Other Stories, $29.
- Embroidered Kaftan & Other Stories, $99.
- Twisted Turban Headband Etsy, $18. Not pictured above (headband I was wearing in last weeks pic).
Hope everyone had a great weekend. I spent the weekend binge watching Normal People (loved Marianne’s chic & elegant style), bike riding, doing yoga, making pizza, and jump starting my new skin regimen (with this, this, this, this, and this). It’s hard to believe next weekend is Memorial Day and the start of Summer. It won’t be a traditional Memorial Day weekend but we’ll still make the most of it.
Today I’m sharing what’s been in my shopping cart along with some weekend finds while browsing. I bought this cute eyelet tiered mini on sale at Shopbop. I’ve been living in my Fiore mini (runs big also like the maxi), and can’t wait for my Shop Mille dress to arrive. I took advantage of J. Crew’s swim sale which will be arriving this week, and found Marysia on sale here, here, & here. I spotted these comfortable Bottega look for less sandals, along with Dr Scholl’s original clogs (& these Marni ones). Now onto home, I updated our pool hammocks, found these chic ping pong paddles from the Jennifer Fisher x CB2 collab, and trying to decide on Adirondack chairs for our front patio. Considering this, this, or this.
Have a great week!
With all this time spent at home and limited amount of make-up being worn, I started wondering what I should be doing with my skin. I reached out to beauty expert, journalist, and brand strategist Janna Mandell to get some of my burning beauty questions answered.
Julie: Tell me a little about yourself and how you got into the beauty world?
Janna: I started out in writing, I always knew I wanted to be a writer. When I was in New York, I was writing about nightlife for New York Magazine. I had always wanted to write beauty but there was no need for more beauty writers. I started temping at Goldman Sachs to earn extra money and I started a conversation with an MD about an electronic trading firm they had invested in. Long story short, he convinced me to join the start-up and I went from temp to Director. I taught myself the world of finance. Five years later, I was recruited to start a competing brand by a bigger electronic trading firm. I loved the challenge but it was a really draining job and I missed writing. One day my husband told me his client’s wife was the Beauty Director at InStyle and that we were going on a double date. We went out to dinner and we talked beauty the whole time. She told me I had a bunch of great ideas and I should start writing again. She was the one that suggested I become a blogger. I had no clue what a beauty blogger was but I gave it a try. Shortly after that, I was chosen as a finalist in Allure’s first beauty blogger competition. That helped get my name out, and I went on to write for E! as the Beauty Police, San Francisco Chronicle, and Forbes. I am currently writing for the Huffington Post.
Julie: On days that we have Zoom calls and want to wear a little make-up. What’s your natural go-to make-up look?
Julie: I have a lot of redness in my skin. Suggestions on ways to reduce redness? Does drinking alcohol perpetuate redness?
Janna: Yes, alcohol is definitely a trigger. Also stay away from hot showers, hot tubs and spicy food. Angelina Umansky, founder of Spa Radiance, is a master esthetician who taught me cooling down your skin is the most important thing. An easy at-home remedy is applying organic Greek yogurt as a face mask. Also, Saint Jane has a CBD beauty serum that helps calm the skin. I also love Josh Rosebrook Hydrating Accelerator. I keep this in my purse and in the fridge so I can spritz when I feel my skin heating up. Josh Rosebrook Vitabalm Cream has blue tansy in it and it’s an ultra-healing cream.
Julie: What are your favorite beauty products if you have no budget?
Janna: I love French brand Biologique Recherche. It really works. One of my favorite products is Biologique Recherche Lotion P50W, otherwise known as “Jesus in a Bottle.” It exfoliates and hydrates the skin. You apply it by tapping it on your skin. Biologique Recherche Creme Masque Vernix is a panacea for dry, irritated skin. I also recommend investing in an LED light therapy device like Lightwave or Light Stim LED Light Therapy. It takes down inflammation and also stimulates collagen production. I also love Marie Veronique Vitamin C+E Ferulic serum as a superpowered antioxidant serum and her Gentle Retinol Night Serum for evening, along with In Fiore Vis Clair Supreme eye cream AM and PM. It brightens immediately and helps build collagen over time.
Julie: What are your favorite budget-friendly beauty products?
Janna: Egyptian Magic healing balm is amazing for everything. I am also a big believer in skin care spatulas. You should never put your fingers in your skincare products. Use the spatulas to scoop the product out of the jar and then apply with your hands.
Julie: Do jade rollers really do anything for your skin?
Janna: They help cool down your skin but I prefer the Gua Sha for lifting and definition.
Julie: What’s your favorite concealer?
Janna: Cleu de Peau has been my favorite for years. Perfect amount of coverage.
Julie: Any other beauty tips?
Janna: When you’re trying new products it’s always important to slowly introduce new things. You don’t want to overwhelm your skin—another tidbit from Angelina. When applying make-up to your face I like using clean fingers instead of brushes, which can collect bacteria and soak up all your product.
I loved every minute of my conversation with Janna. Janna is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to skincare. She’s an expert, innovator, and lover of all things beauty. You can follow her on Instagram @ Beauty Binge.
If you’re looking for a super soft sweatshirt that’s affordable you will love this one from Glossier, $40, this tie-dye number from The Drop Amazon, $44 (shorts to match here), and this cropped version from Thakoon, $95. Some other things to check out from Glossier…Trio Lip Balm ( you can customize your tint), Invisible Sunscreen, Skin Care Set, and Lash Slick.
I’m constantly finding new things on Amazon so I thought I would share what’s been in my cart the past couple of weeks.
- CRZ Yoga Seamless Athletic Top Amazon, $24. Runs small size up. My whole tennis team is wearing these shirts now…great find!
- Dr. Hauschka Lip Care Amazon, $15. Spa for your lips.
- Real Purity Deodorant Pack of 2 Amazon, $29.99. A friend of mine just recommended this brand of natural deodorant. It really works!
- Rishi Match Super Green Tea Amazon, $12.99. I drink it everyday along with Rishi English Breakfast.
- Orchard Valley Chocolate Covered Almonds 2 pack Amazon, $15.
- Gnowann Padded Seamless Underwire Strapless Bra Amazon, $24.99. It’s a great bra for the price and it also comes with clear straps (also good for your teens).
- Vanicream Gentle Face Cleanser Amazon, $8 and Vanicream Moisturizer. Free of preservatives.
- Feetures High Performance Cushion Sock Amazon, $12.99. My new favorite workout socks.
- Eedor Women’s Thin No Show Socks Amazon, $13.95.
- Neocutis Lumiere Illuminating Eye Cream Amazon, $97.
- R. Vivimos Floral Print Beach Cover-up Amazon, $24.99.
- Colorfulkoala Highwaisted Legging Amazon, $29.99. Great legging for the price.
- Ursa Major Face Tonic Amazon, $26.
I have been searching for a new scent and finally found one that I love. Bergamote 22 by Le Labo is a mix of grapefruit, orange blossom, and bergamot. I love the body balm roll on applicator because you can control how much you put on. It’s not an overwhelming scent and there are no artificial fragrances used in Le Labo products…score!
- Alex Mill Pleated Bib Ruffle Voile Top Nordstrom, $138. Even cuter in person size down.
- Ariel Gordon Helium Earrings Goop, $595. Also love the Ariel Gordon Heart Silhouette Studs Goop, $260.
- UO Marled Crew Sock Urban Outfitters, $14. I love the look of a marled sock sticking out of a pair of boots.
- Re/Done High Rise Ankle Boot Shopbop, $265.
- Mini Mini Bucket Bag Bordo Mansur, $445. I love a mini mini bag!
- Rag & Bone Walker Buckle Boot Nordstrom, $475. Almost exactly like the Saint Laurent Jodhpur Boot.
- NAMJOSH Marseille Pony Bow Shopbop, $25. Holiday is all about the hair accessories!
- Nars Lip Pencil Set Sephora, $39. I just got this set yesterday. You get 4 pencils for the price of one.
- LOVESHACKFANCY Stormi Tiered Floral Cotton Dress Moda Operandi, $425. This print also comes in a top (here & here). Also love the pale pink Phoebe Top.
- Medea Prima Hanna Small Bag Net-a-Porter, $550. It’s all about the handheld bag this season.
- Dior Lip Glow Sephora, $34.
- Charlotte Tillsbury Glowgasm Face Palette Sephora, $75.
- Valet Set of 2 Kelly Clips Shopbop, $38.
- Alexandre Birman Clarita Bow Sandal Net-a-Porter, $595.
- Cote x Goop Nail Polish Goop, $18 No formaldehyde, toluene, DBP, camphor, formaldehyde resin, xylene, parabens, fragrances, phthalates, or animal ingredients.
- Tarte Toasted Eyeshadow Palette Sephora, $39 No parabens or phthalates.
- Beauty Counter Sunscreen Stick SPF 30 Beauty Counter, $21 Mineral sunscreen with non-zano zinc.
- Juice Beauty Sheer Lip Gloss Bloomingdales, $22 Formulated without parabens, phthalates, and sulfates.
- Tint Hydrating Foundations Beauty Counter, $42.
- Clean Beauty Travel Kit Net-a-Porter, $155.
- GOOPGLOW Body Luminizer Goop, $48. Subtle shimmer that can be used on the whole body.
- Exfoliating Instand Facial Goop, $125 Made with certified organic ingredients.
- KOSAS Weightless Lip Color Sephora, $28 Formulated without sulfates, parabens, formaldehydes, phthalates, mineral oil, retinyl palmitate, oxybenzone, coal tar, hydroquinone, triclosan, triclocarban.
- W3LL People Mascara Amazon, $21.99 All natural formula free on ingredients from the dirty list.
I’ve gotten a lot of requests from friends and clients for comfortable cotton dresses for their Summer travels. I love this one by Banjanan. It’s a light weight cotton voile wrap dress that packs really well. It will transition from the beach to the streets.
- Banjanan Mercy Dress Anthropologie, $375. Also love the Green Mercy Dress Moda Operandi, $375 and Isa Smocked Midi Dress Anthropologie, $275. Banjanan
- Ulla Johnson Lia Bag Net-A-Porter, $248. On sale!
- Sheer Lip Stick Beauty Counter, $32. All natural sheer lip stick.
- Anni Lu Pearl Bracelet Farfetch, $53.
- Emme Parsons Paloma Slide Goop, $435. If you’re looking for a more polished Birkenstock type sandal I love these Studded Isabel Marant ones.
UNIQLO x JW ANDERSON
London-based designer Jonathan Anderson is known for his witty and visionary take on fashion. His brand JW Anderson’s collaboration with UNIQLO brings his signature touch of British style to UNIQLO. The collection exemplifies both brand’s shared values of thoughtfulness, quality, and innovation. Some of my favorite pieces from the collab are below.
- Reversible Trench Coat Uniqlo, $149.90
- Dolman Sleeve Parka Uniqlo, $49.90
- Dolman Sleeve Blouse Uniqlo, $29.90
- Wrap Skirt Uniqlo, $39.90
- Duffle Bag Uniqlo, $39.90
- Reversible Tote Uniqlo, $29.90
- JW Anderson Logo Crossbody Bag Nordstrom, $850 not part of the collab but love the vibrant colors of this crossbody bag.
To see the whole collection click here.
ULLA JOHNSON x BOBBI BROWN
This month Ulla Johnson is doing a limited edition collection with beauty guru Bobbi Brown. This collection is Ulla’s bohemian take on easy to wear make-up.
- The Minou Eyeshadow Palette Norstrom, $45
- Extra Lip Tint Nordstrom, $34
- Crushed Lip Color Nordstrom, $29
If you want to receive notifications of new posts sign up for my newsletter (see side bar for subscribe button or scroll to the bottom of the page on mobile).
If you think tie-dye is only reserved for Dead & Company and Phish shows think again. Both colorful and pastel tie-dye’s are hot for Spring 2019. Here are some of my favorite styles I’ve come across as of lately.
- Proenza Schouler Tie-dye Sweatshirt Nordstrom, $295 look for less Tie-dye Sweatshirt Zara, $39.90.
- Love Shack Fancy Shane Tie-dye Distressed Sweater Saks, $295 look for less Polo Ralph Lauren Cable Tie-dye Sweater Macy’s, $198.
- Rhode Resort Ella Dress Shopbop, $395 Midi version Rhode Resort Lea Dress Shopbop, $440.
- Proenza Schouler Bandeau Bathing Suit Shopbop, $375 & Paper London Tie-dye Ruffle Swimsuit Saks, $270.
- Swell Geode Rose Traveler Bottle Bloomingdale’s, $40.
- A.L.C. La Californie Tie-dye Tee Saks, $125 look for less Topshop Tie-dye Tee Nordstrom, $35.
- Adidas Tie-dye Logo Baseball Cap Bloomingdales, $26.
- Raquel Allegra Fitted Muscle Tee Blue Shop Bazaar & Grey Color way Shopbop, $198.
- Hourglass Ambient Blush Sephora, $40.
- Pedro Garcia x Raquel Allegra Yoshie Smoking Slipper Nordstrom, $560.
- ATM Tie-dye Skirt Shopbop, $350 look for less Kos Resort Tie Dye Beach Skirt Shopbop, $95.
NYFW kicked off this week. Ulla Johnson’s show was yesterday and I got a sneak peak of the new line on Instagram. Lots of beautiful earth tone colors (gold, saffron, burgundy, cream) and bold prints. Currently loving this Benita Dress by Ulla that I happened to find in stock at Net-A-Porter (sold out at Shopbop and Nordstrom).
- Ulla Johnson Benita Dress Net-A-Porter, $395 & Ulla Gaia Ruffled Top Net-A-Porter, $225
- Laura Lombardi Mella Hoop Earrings Nordstrom, $75 also LOVE Kristie Le Marque Lightening Bolt Earrings Goop, $250 (just in at Goop).
- Marc Jacobs Dew Drops Highlighter Net-A-Porter, $44
- Shashi Caroline Gold Shell Bracelet Shopbop, $54 A nice look for less alternate to the Tohum Shell Bracelet.
- Nars Satin Lip Pencil Nordstrom, $27 A pencil that goes on like a lipstick.
- TKEES Jo Lace Up Sandal Shopbop, $95
Don’t forget to check out my SHOP IT page I just added a bunch of new inventory.