Over the weekend we went out to dinner at the Firehouse Hotel Restaurant in The Arts District in DTLA. It’s right next door to Bon Temps which is next on our restaurant list. The menu was so simple yet refreshing because it was back to basics. One of the appetizers we ordered was mozzarella sticks (have not had one in ages) so it inspired me to make them at home. I tried to recreate a healthier version and skipped the frying and opted for baking them instead. They turned out great!
- 1 package mozzarella cheese sticks *I like the Horizon Organic brand but any will work.
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp flour
- 4 tbsp Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 4 tbsp panko crumbs
- 2 tsp parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp dried oregano, basil, or parsley *whatever you have
- olive oil spray
- Cut cheese in half. Place cheese in the freezer until cheese is frozen.
- In small bowl, whisk the egg. Place the flour on another small dish.
- In separate bowl, combine bread crumbs, panko, parmesan cheese and dried oregano (or whichever one you choose).
- Dip the frozen sticks in flour, shaking off excess, then into the egg, then coat with the crumbs.
- Repeat with the remaining cheese placing them on a tray with brown wax paper.
- Place cheese back into the freezer at least 1 hour until ready to bake (this is a MUST or they will melt before the crumbs get golden).
- When ready to bake preheat oven to 400° F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and lightly spray with oil. Place frozen cheese sticks on baking sheet. Spray the tops of the mozzarella sticks with a little more oil and bake until golden brown.
Serve with your favorite tomato sauce.