Hope everyone had a nice holiday weekend. I did a lot of cooking this weekend including this amazing Naan bread. The girls and I made it together which was a really fun activity. I’ve also been enjoying my Alo yoga class at home taught by Tom Morley. If you’re interested you can sign up at Global Tribe Retreats. Classes begin everyday at 9:30 am and meditation at 8:30 pm in the evening.
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 3 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt (or any yogurt or sour cream)
- 1 egg
- In a small bowl mix warm milk, sugar, and yeast. Let stand for 15 mins until the yeast is activated.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate small bowl combine yogurt and egg.
- Once your yeast is activated add your yeast mixture to your flour mixture. I used my Kitchen Aid mixer with my dough hook attachment. Mix together until it becomes a sticky dough. If the dough is too dry keep adding milk until you get your desired consistency. If the dough is too wet add a little extra flour.
- Once all your ingredients are combined gently knead your dough into a ball.
- Spray a bowl with olive oil, and place the dough inside of it. Cover with a damp towel and place your bowl in a warm area to rise for about 2 hours.
- Once the dough has risen it should be about doubled in size.
- Once the dough has risen, cut the dough into 12 pieces and form them into balls.
- Now it’s time to make your Naan. We used a cast iron skillet but you can use any heavy bottomed skillet. Oil your skillet and heat to medium. Working with one ball at a time, roll it out until it is about 1/4 inch thick or approximately 6 inches in diameter. Place the rolled out dough onto the hot skillet and cook until the bottom is golden brown and large bubbles have formed. Flip the dough and cook the other side until golden brown as well. Stack the cooked flat bread on a plate and cover with a towel to keep warm as you cook the remaining pieces.