I wanted to share a fun family dinner activity that you can all do at home. We had a family pizza night where we were all in charge of making our own pizza. We had a taste test at dinner and picked a winner. Everyone really got into it so this is definitely something we will continue to do. Here’s the simple pizza dough recipe we used.
Pizza Dough Recipe
To print from e-mail please visit Julesee.com
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 3 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt (or any yogurt or sour cream)
- 1 egg
- In a small bowl mix warm milk, sugar, and yeast. Let stand for 15 mins until the yeast is activated.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate small bowl combine yogurt and egg.
- Once your yeast is activated add your yeast mixture and egg-yogurt mixture to your flour. I use my Kitchen Aid mixer with a dough hook attachment. Mix together until it becomes a sticky dough. If the dough is too dry keep adding milk until you get your desired consistency. If the dough is too wet add a little extra flour.
- Once all your ingredients are combined gently knead your dough into a ball.
- Spray a bowl with olive oil, and place the dough inside of it. Cover with a damp towel and place your bowl in a warm area to rise for about 2 hours.
- Pre-heat your oven to 450 °F.
- Once the dough has risen it should be about doubled in size.
- Place your dough on a dusted flour surface and cut it into four pieces.
With floured hands, gently stretch your pizza dough to fit a pizza tray/pan (pan should be floured & we used 12 inch pizza pans). You can also use a rolling pin to roll it out. See above picture for thickness.
- Now it’s time to make your pizza. Place your sauce (either tomato or pesto) on your dough and then add all your desired toppings.
- Place your pizza in the oven it should take about 10-12 minutes but it depends on how hot your oven is. About 2 minutes before your pizza is ready, slide it off the tray and let the bottom crisp on the oven rack or pizza stone if you are using one.
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Pizza Sauce
- Flour for dusting
- Desired toppings
Topping ideas: fresh mozzarella, kalamata olives, black olives, pepperoni, salami, fresh basil, feta, and mushrooms.
You will need 12 inch pizza pans, pizza wheel, dough scraper, and mixing bowls.
Adapted from Bigger Bolder Baking
One thought on “Pizza Party”