I wanted to share a fun family dinner activity that you can all do at home. We had a family pizza night where we were all in charge of making our own pizza. We had a taste test at dinner and picked a winner. Everyone really got into it so this is definitely something we will continue to do. Here’s the simple pizza dough recipe we used.
Pizza Dough Recipe
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 3 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt (or any yogurt or sour cream)
- 1 egg
- In a small bowl mix warm milk, sugar, and yeast. Let stand for 15 mins until the yeast is activated.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate small bowl combine yogurt and egg.
- Once your yeast is activated add your yeast mixture and egg-yogurt mixture to your flour. I use my Kitchen Aid mixer with a dough hook attachment. Mix together until it becomes a sticky dough. If the dough is too dry keep adding milk until you get your desired consistency. If the dough is too wet add a little extra flour.
- Once all your ingredients are combined gently knead your dough into a ball.
- Spray a bowl with olive oil, and place the dough inside of it. Cover with a damp towel and place your bowl in a warm area to rise for about 2 hours.
- Pre-heat your oven to 450 °F.
- Once the dough has risen it should be about doubled in size.
- Place your dough on a dusted flour surface and cut it into four pieces.
- Now it’s time to make your pizza. Place your sauce (either tomato or pesto) on your dough and then add all your desired toppings.
- Place your pizza in the oven it should take about 10-12 minutes but it depends on how hot your oven is. About 2 minutes before your pizza is ready, slide it off the tray and let the bottom crisp on the oven rack or pizza stone if you are using one.
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Pizza Sauce
- Flour for dusting
- Desired toppings
Topping ideas: fresh mozzarella, kalamata olives, black olives, pepperoni, salami, fresh basil, feta, and mushrooms.
Adapted from Bigger Bolder Baking