When I went off to college my mom gave me a book of recipes that I still use today. This chicken recipe was in there and it’s become a family favorite.
To print from e-mail visit julesee.com
- 3 tablespoons Chinese rice wine
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breast cut into small pieces
For the Glaze
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic chili paste
- Make the marinade – In a bowl stir together the rice wine, ginger, sesame oil, and salt. Add the chicken to the marinade, toss well to coat, and cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Set a large skillet to medium high heat and brown the chicken. Once it’s done remove it from the pan and set it aside.
- Make the Glaze – In large skillet heat your oil. Add garlic and ginger and sauté briefly (just so it’s fragrant), do not brown. Next, add ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce, chili paste, and simmer for about 5 minutes. Return your chicken to the pan with the sauce and toss to coat. Continue to simmer for about 5-10 minutes. The sauce should be thickened. Serve with rice and a vegetable of choice.